Thursday, October 15, 2009

Clumping Date Palms

When I said it yesterday, I knew I would have to eat my words -  My statement that "Phoenix reclinata (Senegal Date Palm) is the only clumping date I know of " is so very wrong -  Case in point, Phoenix theophrasti (Cretan date palm) and Phoenix loureiri.

I do have a little to share re:  Phoenix reclinata hybrids.   This is from Betrock's Cold Hardy Palms. 

"Senegal date palm, or rather what appears to be this species, is often seen growing in USDA Hardiness Zone 9B or even 9A.    The pure species is not hardy abaove Zone 10A, but much of what is sold as this species in U.S. nursery trade is of a hybrid origin.  Hybrids with P. canariensis, P. dactylifera and P sylvestris are not uncommon, and are hardier than the pure P reclinata.  They are almost always identified as P reclinata.  Specimens sold as P. reclinata with bluish or grayish-green leaves are assuredly hybrids.  Like the species, the hybrids are cliustering palms that can achieve 25-30' of height."

Our seed was harvested from P. sylvestris so you can count on it to be a cold hardy palm.

No comments:

Post a Comment