Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Texas Mountain Laurels


What a wonderful central Texas native!   Dark green, glossy leaves and an irresistable purple bloom in the spring.   I just wish it bloomed longer.  Each trees bloom period is about 2-3 weeks.    The seedpods will contain a dark red, poisonous seed.    The seedcoat is extremely hard; in nature it may take a few years before they sprout.   Here in the nursery, we have our ways to push them along. . . .

Texas mountain laurels have become a hot commodity in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.  They are equally loved in the Rio Grande Valley.  They tolerate many types of soil - just be sure it's well-drained.  Mountain laurel do not like wet feet!   

Once established this is a great Xeriscape plant.  It handles underwatering better than overwatering.

1 comment:

  1. I found you at Cultivating Paradise after googling "Mexican Mint Marigold clay soil" as I was having a bit of trouble with my mmm. I read through your posts over there. I hope by now your ginger has returned. I garden just south of Dallas where we had a really cold winter, and mine survived, so hopefully yours did, too.
    Those Texas Mountain Laurels ARE hot in this area! Four years ago I couldn't find one when I was landscaping at my previous home and had NO luck germinating from seed I stole, er uh, acquired from a friend's tree. Now they are all the rage! And I still don't have one yet!
    I like your posts, they are informative and your photos are lovely!

    ReplyDelete